Reading Whiz Kids25 Apr 2017
The Reading Whiz Kids are a selection of pupils chosen from across Upper KS2 (years 5 and 6), who were chosen to support reading in a variety of ways throughout the school.
The children originally put themselves forward for the role, and were given the responsibility of being a Whiz Kid having shown that they have a passion for reading, are keen to support other children in helping them choose suitable books to read, provide support in helping to organise the library, as well as selecting new reading materials for the school.
Since starting their role in January 2017, the Whiz Kids have provided support to reading in a number of ways. This has included:-
- Choosing themes for displays in the library
- Selecting new reading books for the library
- Reading aloud to the classes of younger children in KS1 (years 1 and 2)
- Helping to run the Book Fair in school, guiding groups of children through the selection of books
- Attending meetings to discuss the ways in which the school can help to support and promote reading to all of our pupils.
So far the children have shown great attitude and commitment to their new role and the responsibilities that have come alongside it. As time goes on, I look forward to continuing to work with the Whiz Kids and continue to develop reading throughout the school with the benefit of their knowledge and assistance.
Mr Rasem, Teacher, Reading Lead